Physical Therapy addresses illnesses or injuries that limit a person’s abilities to move and perform functional activities in their daily lives through evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of their impairments. There are a variety of reasons that individuals require physical therapy services which Include rehabilitation for orthopedic injuries, Post-surgical, Cardiopulmonary, Neurological, and Vestibular.
Physical Therapy emphasis is on the following:
- Modalities: Heat/cold packs, Electrical stimulation, Ultrasound, Diathermy to assist with pain, neuromuscular re-education and strengthening.
- Gait training with assessment of appropriate assistive devices, level/unlevel surfaces, stair training to assist in returning safely to the community.
- Neuromuscular re-education to promote balance
- Fall prevention strategies/education
- Range of Motion re-training
- Therapeutic exercises to promote increased strength /endurance of the core and lower extremity musculature.
- Therapeutic activities including: Bed mobility and transfer training utilizing proper body mechanics
- Manual therapy
- Vestibular Assessment
- Contracture Management
- Patient and family education